Prep Time: 45 mins
Cook Time: 60 mins
A Classic Dutch Apple Pie Recipe!
Fall is apple season, so I made a Dutch Apple Pie! It’s easy to make and will be ready in about 1-1/2 hours. Here’s how to make it.
Pastry for a single-crust pie
- 4-5 large pie apples (sliced thin)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- Mix together the apple slices, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour (for thickening) and mix them all together.
- Let it sit for about ½ hour and let the thickener develop. (Hint #1: 1-2 tsp of lemon juice will keep your apples from browning.) (Hint #2: You can get creative and add golden raisins and nuts too if you wish.)
- Mound the apple filling in the unbaked pie shell.
Make the crumb topping
- Combine the flour, brown sugar and butter and pulse in a food processor till crumbly.
- Liberally heap it on the apple filling.
- Bake at 375 degrees until crust is brown and filling bubbles, about 1 hour.
- Serve warm with ice cream for a real treat!
To make rolling out your pie crust simple, check out the Perfect Crust Pie Mat
For a perfect pie crust, check out our Perfect Pie Weight Chains.
Be sure to check out all of the Kitchen Tools and Gadgets from JAZ Innovations