For the chicken
1 cup yogurt
2 shallots, finely chopped
Juice of half a lemon
½ tsp cardamom
1 tsp sumac
1 bunch dill, chopped
A few pinches of kosher salt and pepper
A generous drizzle of olive oil
For garlic sauce
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, shallots, lemon zest and juice, cardamom, sumac, dill, salt and pepper, and olive oil. Set aside.
- Place raw chicken on cutting board. Using a sharp pair of kitchen shears, cut along each side of the spine. Remove the spine. Snip the breast bone and then crack in half so that the chicken lays flat.
- Place chicken into a plastic gallon storage bag. Scoop yogurt marinade into the bag. Seal the bag completely and massage the yogurt marinade into the chicken to ensure it is completely coated.
- Place the plastic bag containing the chicken and its yogurt marinade onto a cooking sheet. Refrigerate overnight.
- Roast in the oven at 450℉ for 45-55 minutes. This is a really great time to make the garlic sauce.
- Remove chicken from the oven and let it rest for at least 10 minutes. The skin should be crispy.
- After it is slightly cooled, slice the chicken in half and carve the thigh and drumstick off. Serve with a heaping side of garlic sauce.
- Peel and separate the cloves of 2 heads of garlic. Puree the heads in a food processor. Once they are a paste, add ½ cup of the canola oil very slowly.
- Add the lemon juice and drizzle the remaining canola oil in very slowly. The mixture should be a thick, spreadable paste. Set aside until ready to use
This recipe is from Binging With Babish – check it out!
Check out these Kitchen Tools and Gadgets by JAZ Innovations to make baking easier and more fun!
For protection against accidental oven burns – Oven Rack Guard® Burn Protection
To protect against burns from splattering grease – Splatter Guard Pro™
For the perfect pie crust (and for blind-baking!) – Perfect Crust Pie™ Weight Chain
To roll a perfect pie crust – Perfect Crust™ Pie Mat
To protect against burns from hot lids on pots – Cool Touch™ Lid Handle Covers
For precise kitchen ingredient measuring that’s easy & fast – Perfect Measure™ Measuring Cups
Save money by preserving your produce the natural way – Guard/N Fresh™ Produce Saver