We showed you how to make a Lemon Pie in one of our earlier recipes, which you’ll find at Lemon Pie recipe.)A Chiffon pie is basically a pie crust with a chilled filling…that’s really all there is to it. (But there are a few steps to handle properly but don’t worry, we’ll walk you through every step.)
Many recipes call for a pie crust made from graham crackers. But I like to use a blind-baked regular crust, so I did! (Learn how to make a blind-baked crust by following our recipe for
- 1 package unflavored gelatin (.25 ounce)
- ¼ cup cold water
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- ¾ cup sugar
- Juice of two lemons (about ½ cup)
- Zest from two lemons
- Prepare pastry for a single-crust pie. Form a decorative shell and blind bake until golden brown. Allow to cool before filling.
- Soften gelatin in water for 5 minutes
- Beat egg yolks, lemon juice, and half the sugar together. Cook in the top of a double boiler, stirring constantly, until of custard consistency.
- Add grated lemon zest and softened gelatin and stir thoroughly.
- Cool until mixture thickens.
- Whip egg whites and the rest of the sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into the thickened custard.
- Pour filling into pie shell and chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve when firm.
(Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com.)
Check out these Kitchen Tools and Gadgets by JAZ Innovations to make baking easier and more fun!
For protection against accidental oven burns – Oven Rack Guard® Burn Protection
To protect against burns from splattering grease – Splatter Guard Pro™
For the perfect pie crust (and for blind-baking!) – Perfect Crust Pie™ Weight Chain
To roll a perfect pie crust – Perfect Crust™ Pie Mat
To protect against burns from hot lids on pots – Cool Touch™ Lid Handle Covers
For precise kitchen ingredient measuring that’s easy & fast – Perfect Measure™ Measuring Cups
Save money by preserving your produce the natural way – Guard/N Fresh™ Produce Saver