- 2 cups of fresh blueberries
- ½ cup Sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 packet plain gelatin, dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 egg whites
- Pinch kosher salt
For the crust:
- Make pie dough for single-crust pie
- Cover the bottom with Beaded Pie Weight Chain to prevent bubbling.
- Blind-bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove pie weight chain and allow to cool before adding chiffon.
For the Blueberry Chiffon filling:
- Prepare single-crust pie, as described above.
- In a small saucepan, combine blueberries and 1/3 cup sugar. Place over medium heat and cook at a rapid simmer until berries wilt and juices thicken (about 15 minutes).
Let cool. It should resemble a loose jam.
- In a pan, whisk together egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Cook over low heat until mixture coats back of a spoon, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in gelatin. While it cools, whip cream until it holds stiff peaks.
- Separately, whip egg whites and pinch of salt until foamy, then gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar until whites hold a stiff peak.
- Fold cooled gelatin mixture into beaten egg whites.
- Then fold in the whipped cream, followed by blueberries.
- Mix gently until smooth.
- Pour into pie shell and chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Garnish as desired with strawberries and whipped cream.
There you have it: Blueberry Chiffon Pie – an elegant Summertime classic!
(Recipe adapted from the New York Times Dining.)
Check out these Kitchen Tools and Gadgets by JAZ Innovations to make baking easier and more fun!