“Piccata” is derived from an Italian word and when used in cooking it means, “to be pounded flat”. When used in referencing how food is prepared it means, “sliced, sautéed, and served in a sauce containing lemon, butter and spices”. (If you want to dig deeper into the history, you can find out more here.
My take on this classic dish uses chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces that ensure tenderness without the tedious pounding and flattening required in most recipes. The meal goes together quickly as most of the work is in the prep; cooking takes just a few minutes. Here is my recipe.
- 1 pound chicken breast or chicken tenders
- Juice from one lemon (about ¼ cup)
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup flour
- Seasoning salt
- 1-2 tsp capers (optional)
- 1 tsp flour (for thickening)
- Olive oil for frying
- Mix flour and seasoning salt together in a bowl
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces, then dredge in seasoned flour to coat and set aside
- Fry chicken in olive oil until golden brown
- Add lemon juice and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half
- Mix 1 tsp flour with water or wine to make a slurry, then add to the pan and allow to thicken
- Add capers
- Remove from heat and serve
There are many ways to prepare Chicken Piccata. If you’re interested in a method that is quick and easy and still tastes delicious, give this Chicken Piccata recipe a try!
Check out these Kitchen Tools and Gadgets by JAZ Innovations to make baking easier and more fun!
For protection against accidental oven burns – Oven Rack Guard® Burn Protection
To protect against burns from splattering grease – Splatter Guard Pro™
For the perfect pie crust (and for blind-baking!) – Perfect Crust Pie™ Weight Chain
To roll a perfect pie crust – Perfect Crust™ Pie Mat
To protect against burns from hot lids on pots – Cool Touch™ Lid Handle Covers
For precise kitchen ingredient measuring that’s easy & fast – Perfect Measure™ Measuring Cups
Save money by preserving your produce the natural way – Guard/N Fresh™ Produce Saver