- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 medium onion, thin sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 small red or yellow bell pepper, thin sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives (optional)
- 2 tablespoons each basil and parsley (freshly chopped or dried)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup red wine
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 12 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Dredge the chicken thighs with flour seasoned with salt and pepper, and set aside
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy cast-iron skillet. Sear chicken on both sides until golden, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to the pan. Sauté the onion until transparent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the peppers, carrot, mushrooms and herbs; cook for 5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Pour in the wine, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Cook until wine is reduced, about 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chill flakes. Season with salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Return chicken pieces to the skillet, cover with lid, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer (while stirring occasionally) for 40 minutes.
- Add in the olives (if using) and allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
(adapted from https://cafedelites.com/chicken-cacciatore/)
Check out these Kitchen Tools and Gadgets by JAZ Innovations to make baking easier and more fun!
For protection against accidental oven burns – Oven Rack Guard® Burn Protection
To protect against burns from splattering grease – Splatter Guard Pro™
For the perfect pie crust (and for blind-baking!) – Perfect Crust Pie™ Weight Chain
To roll a perfect pie crust – Perfect Crust™ Pie Mat
To protect against burns from hot lids on pots – Cool Touch™ Lid Handle Covers
For precise kitchen ingredient measuring that’s easy & fast – Perfect Measure™ Measuring Cups
Save money by preserving your produce the natural way – Guard/N Fresh™ Produce Saver